Storage Tips & FAQs
How do I plan what I want to store?
- Start by making a list of the items you plan to store.
- Group the items according to how you will organize them.
- Identify the items that will be packed in boxes and stacked.
- Prioritize boxed items you will want to access most frequently (they’ll go closer to the front of the unit.)
Is there a best way to store items?
- Group your items by fragility or weight – heavier, sturdier items should be stored on the bottom of stacked items, fragile items on the top.
- Consider awkwardly sized items that won’t stack well, including how often you will need to use them and how heavy they are.
How do I choose the right unit size?
How do I organize and pack my items?
- Box everything that you can so it doesn’t become dusty
- Clearly label all boxes on more than one side for easy identification.
- Fill boxes to capacity to ensure contents don’t shift during
transport or lifting.
- Wrap fragile items and breakables (dishes, glasses, ornaments etc.) separately. Tip plates and bowls on their sides and never stack heavy items.
- Pack fragile items tightly into reinforced boxes, filling any gaps with paper or filler. Mark “Fragile” on any boxes containing breakables and store them on top.
- Wrap mirrors and pictures in bubble wrap and mark them as “Fragile.”
- Pack books flat in small boxes to avoid damage to their spines.
- Papers are best stored in file boxes or small boxes.
- Store clothes in wardrobe boxes with built-in hanging rods. Shoes can be stored in the base of wardrobe boxes. Folded clothing can be stored in boxes, dresser drawers or vacuum-sealed bags.
- Disassemble furniture such as beds and tables before you store them.
- Mattresses and upholstered furniture should be covered in sheeting for additional protection.
- Defrost refrigerators and freezers and store with doors slightly ajar.
- Drain washing machines and store with hoses and cords tied down.
- Wipe the inside of appliances with baking soda to keep them dry.
- Clean out bags or canisters of vacuum cleaners to deter bacteria and mold.
- TV’s, stereos and computers should be packed in their original boxes if possible.
- Wipe down tools and bicycles with oil to avoid rust formation.